You’re having a new asphalt driveway installed, congratulations! This is an investment for your home or business that will look very nice and provide great functionality. The first step in caring for a new asphalt driveway is making sure it is done right by an experienced asphalt paving company such as Asphalt Industries. Once your new driveway is in, here are a few tips to help keep it in good shape:
- Keep all vehicles off of your new driveway for a few days.
- Try not to park in the same spot every time for the first few months.
- Refrain from allowing heavy vehicles and equipment on your new driveway until it fully cures.
- Don’t turn your steering wheel while your vehicle is sitting still.
- Avoid driving on the edges of the driveway (where there is less support) to prevent crumbling.
- Consider building up side support along the edges of the driveway with gravel, but leave the gravel just a little lower than the asphalt to allow for drainage.
- If you park a trailer in the driveway for a long period time, put a board under the jack.
- Avoid spilling gasoline, oil, antifreeze, etc.
- Keep your driveway clean of dirt and grime which can pull oils from the new asphalt.
- Seal your driveway 1 year after paving and then every 2-3 years after that to keep it protected.
If you have questions about how to care for your new driveway, you are welcome to give us a call at 518-584-4340 or fill out the form on our contact page. We are happy to share our expertise in residential paving and commercial paving with you.