Installing a new asphalt driveway is a fairly complicated process. If all of the steps aren’t followed to the letter, the surface could crack, crumble and develop potholes. Continue reading to learn how to prepare for asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY so you’ll know what to expect when your asphalt contractor shows up to your home:
- Remove tree roots: This one doesn’t apply to every homeowner, but if there are any trees near your driveway, you’ll need to ensure there aren’t any roots growing underneath it. Tree roots can cause the asphalt to heave upwards and crack as they grow.
- Tear out old asphalt: Your asphalt contractor will begin by using a skid steer loader to strip off the old blacktop from your driveway. The old asphalt will be taken to a recycling center, where it can be reused for future projects.
- Grade the sub-base: Proper drainage is just as essential for your driveway as the asphalt material on top. So, a significant step in how to prepare for asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY is grading the sub-base to keep water flowing toward the street and prevent it from pooling. Neglecting this step will result in nasty potholes and a shoddy-looking driveway.
- Compact the sub-base: The sub-base needs to be uniformly dense across your driveway if you want a smooth and even surface. Your asphalt contractor will use rollers to compact the sub-base material to ensure that’s the case! In addition to being nice and smooth, a compacted sub-base extends the lifespan of your new driveway.
Choosing the right asphalt contractor
Hiring the right team for your asphalt paving job is essential. Here are a few things to look for in a good contractor:
- Experience: When it comes to asphalt paving, the longer a company has been in business, the better. Look for a company that’s been around for a long time and has a diverse portfolio of asphalt work. Chances are, if they’ve tackled hundreds or even thousands of projects, they’ll know how to prepare your driveway for asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Equipment: Reputable contractors all use high-quality equipment to complete their paving jobs. Updated rollers and other paving gear help ensure the sub-base is compact and the asphalt is applied thickly and evenly across your driveway.
- Fair prices: Last, but certainly not least, check the contractor’s prices versus the competition. You don’t want to overpay for your new driveway, but you also don’t want to choose a cut-rate contractor. It never hurts to shop around and get a few estimates before you commit to working with a contractor.
Call Asphalt Industries, LLC to repave your driveway
Asphalt repaving isn’t a DIY job, so knowing how to prepare a driveway for asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY is just as important as knowing who to call. When customers need their asphalt laid correctly, they choose Asphalt Industries, LLC. We have years of experience working with asphalt, so you know you’re in good hands when you call our professionals.