Winter weather can wreak havoc on pavement, and it’s important to keep your driveway as protected as possible. Driveways that aren’t protected during the winter months often develop cracks and potholes that can diminish the safety, strength and longevity of the pavement. The good news is that there are several simple tips that can keep your driveway in great shape, no matter what the winter forecast has in store. Read on for some essential tips for winter driveway care in Saratoga Springs, NY.
The right winterization strategies can make a huge difference in the long-term health and safety of your driveway. For the best results, start your driveway care measures early and invest time into preparing your driveway before bad weather sets in. Follow these suggestions for winter driveway care in Saratoga Springs, NY:
- Clean your driveway in the fall: During the fall, trees drop leaves and branches and wind carries debris that can clutter a driveway. An accumulation of debris on your driveway can accelerate damage and general wear and tear. Clean your driveway in the fall and clear away any fallen branches and leaves. Starting the winter with a clean driveway makes it a lot easier to keep up with maintenance during the winter months.
- Keep up on sealcoating: Asphalt should be sealcoated every two or three years to maintain its durability and reduce wear and tear. Not only does sealcoating improve the safety and strength of your driveway, it also reduces the effects of weatherization from UV exposure and heavy precipitation. Regular sealcoating offers a lot of protection for asphalt pavement, especially during the winter months.
- Clean up spills immediately: Oil and other automotive fluids can rapidly deteriorate asphalt pavement, and this degradation only gets worse if spills aren’t cleaned up right away. Clean up spills as soon as you notice them to keep your asphalt as strong as possible and reduce the negative effects of harsh winter conditions.
- Clear snow and ice: Leaving snow and ice to sit on your driveway can be harmful for your asphalt pavement. Avoid using metal shovels for snow clearing, since these can damage your asphalt. Instead, use snowblowers or plastic shovels to clear snow. It’s safe to use rock salt and other deicers on asphalt pavement, but you should try to avoid using these products too frequently.
- Handle repairs proactively: An asphalt surface that’s already cracked or full of holes is more likely to sustain serious damage during the winter months. As soon as you notice problems with your asphalt, contact a professional for repairs to restore the pavement of your surface and keep it strong.
Winter driveway care in Saratoga Springs, NY
Get professional help with winter driveway care in Saratoga Springs, NY by reaching out to Asphalt Industries, LLC. We know how damaging winter weather can be for driveways, and we are here to keep your pavement protected and ensure that it lasts for years to come. Our team will provide you with comprehensive maintenance and repair services to restore your pavement and prevent damage. Request a quote and schedule a service appointment by giving us a call today.