Frequently Asked Questions About Asphalt Paving in Saratoga Springs, NY

October 26, 2018 5:26 pm Published by

When it comes to asphalt, we know our stuff at Asphalt Industries. Unfortunately, most people don’t know the first thing about asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY —and they don’t bother to learn. Many homeowners and business owners don’t give asphalt much thought until they are left with no choice but to deal with an issue head-on. Understanding the basics of asphalt can help you better manage your driveway, roadway or parking lot. That’s why we have assembled the answers to some of the most common questions our asphalt experts receive.

What is asphalt?

Let’s start with the basics. Asphalt pavement is made up of about 95 percent aggregate, which is usually stone, gravel or sand. The remaining 5 percent is asphalt cement that acts like glue to hold the aggregates together. The materials are heated and then combined with recycled materials to create the final product.

How long should asphalt last?

Asphalt’s lifespan can vary dramatically depending on a few different factors. It will typically last a about 15 to 20 years if installed by a trained professional. Performing regular preventative maintenance and care will help keep the surface looking great and increase the amount of time between replacements.

What causes asphalt to deteriorate?

Asphalt begins to deteriorate when water penetrates the base. It starts when the untreated pavement surface begins to oxidize, which causes the asphalt to become brittle and dry. The top layer gradually erodes, leaving the larger aggregate completely exposed and vulnerable to cracking. The cracks will only grow larger if left untreated. Vehicle fluids and sunlight can cause even more damage to asphalt that isn’t properly sealcoated.

How can I protect my asphalt?

Sealcoating is the most cost efficient and effective way to protect asphalt. Sealcoating is a thin liquid layer that is added over the top of the surface to protect it from the damage caused by rain, snow, sunlight and vehicle fluids. New asphalt should be sealcoated within six months after installation. Plan to sealcoat every two to three years after that. Regularly inspect the asphalt for any cracking and have cracks sealed immediately to prevent them from growing.

How do I find the best asphalt contractor?

Look for an asphalt contractor with years of on-the-job experience and professionalism to get the job done right. The best asphalt contractor will take the time to fully understand the project scope and any specific needs. Ask each candidate what they would recommend for your unique asphalt situation and how much they will expect the work to cost. Additionally, take the time to verify that the contractor has the necessary licenses, insurance and equipment before hiring anyone. We also recommend examining some of their recent projects to make sure the work is still up to par after completion.

Asphalt installation and maintenance doesn’t have to be stressful with the help of the experts at Asphalt Industries. Call us today to learn more about asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY. We look forward to helping you enjoy attractive, durable paved surfaces at your home or business!

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer