It’s important to take care of your home’s driveway, especially during the hot summer months. Below are six tips from an asphalt contractor in Saratoga Springs, NY to help you protect your blacktop driveway from the summer heat:
- Repair cracks, holes and more: Summer is a really good time to repair any cracks, holes, gouges and other damage that have befallen your asphalt driveway. The nice weather means more sprinkler use, hand watering delicate landscaping, washing cars and spraying off the driveway. If repairs are not made to your driveway, water from irrigation can seep through these openings in its surface. Water and moisture will begin to degrade the layers underneath the asphalt, and prolonged exposure to the sun can worsen the problem.
- Clear away debris: No matter where you live, your blacktop driveway is bound to collect all sorts of debris, including dirt, sand, sticks, pebbles, glass and bird droppings. Sweeping your driveway regularly throughout the summer makes your property look clean and can prevent excessive stress on your driveway.
- Avoid using sharp objects: Summer is the ideal time for homeowners to get outside and work on outdoor projects. The weather is nice, and there’s no rain in sight, but there is some amount of risk involved. The hotter the summer temperatures, the weaker and softer asphalt surfaces tend to be. Because of this, dropped tools and equipment can cause damage (such as cracks, holes and pitting) to the surface of your driveway. If you must use tools near your driveway this summer, try working on projects in the early morning or late evening hours, when the surface is cool and not too soft.
- Keep it sealed: Seal coating your blacktop driveway is an effective way to protect and preserve it. Keeping it sealed helps driveways stay looking new for years. Seal coating also protects asphalt against heat oxidization and water damage, as it provides a buffer that can withstand the elements that otherwise negatively affect asphalt surfaces. Your best course of action is to apply seal coating to your blacktop driveway every couple of years during the spring.
- Consider traffic: Before you reapply seal coating this summer, take note of the condition of your driveway and calculate how much traffic it endures. A driveway that sees more traffic will need more seasonal maintenance to protect it from damage. Between traffic and changing weather, if you don’t maintain your driveway, the asphalt can wear down over time. Every summer, inspect your driveway closely to determine whether any repairs are needed.
- Hire a professional: While there’s a lot that blacktop driveway owners can do maintenance-wise, you may want to hire a professional every once in a while. A pro can provide routine maintenance, perform inspections and make the necessary repairs, all to keep your driveway in prime operational condition.
Preventative maintenance is key to a long lasting blacktop driveway. If you want more information about new installations, resurfacing services or seal coating, contact the professionals at Asphalt Industries to speak with a knowledgeable asphalt contractor in Saratoga Springs, NY today!