If you are looking to pave your driveway to enhance its appearance, there are some factors you need to consider before you have the work performed. This will ensure that your new asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY lasts longer and doesn’t cause you any potential problems down the road. Keep these tips in mind before you have your driveway paved to make sure you are having quality work performed on the area and not leaving yourself open to issues further down the road:
- Wait two years: If you have a newly built home, you may be tempted to invest in asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY immediately to complete the look of your property. However, you should resist the temptation to do so, as you need to wait at least two years to allow the stones of your driveway to fully compact. This will create a more solid base for your driveway and prevent shifting from occurring.
- Pick the right day: Having the right weather on the day that you decide to have your driveway paved can make all the difference in how well the asphalt adheres and prevent the washing away of the gravel surface. Choose a day that is mild and relatively warm. Avoid rainy days and extreme cold weather, as these conditions could affect the results of your driveway paving.
- Think about grade: You want to have the right grade for your asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY, as this will allow the driveway to match the surrounding surface. You need to have a gravel base that is at least 4 inches thick. You may need to have some soil excavated or have an additional layer of gravel provided to achieve the proper grade. Grading is essential to your driveway and can help prevent drainage issues around your home.
- Avoid drainage problems: Speaking of drainage, you should ensure a proper slope for your driveway so water moves away from your home’s foundation and into the road. If you have a current problem with water draining near the foundation of your home or pooling on your driveway’s surface, this needs to be attended to first before asphalt paving can commence.
- Contend with weeds: It is imperative that any weeds that are making their way through the gravel of your driveway be eliminated before the asphalt layer is applied. Failure to remove these weeds will allow them to seep through the asphalt, weakening the base layer. Apply a weed killer to the surface and ensure they are removed for good before having your driveway paved.
Taking these steps prior to asphalt paving in Saratoga Springs, NY will ensure your new driveway gives you many years of performance without issue. Check with your local municipality to see if you need a permit to have the work performed, and work with a reputable asphalt contractor to ensure proper installation. Contact Asphalt Industries when you are ready to have your driveway asphalt paved. We are experienced in handling residential projects as well as large commercial paving jobs, and can make sure your new driveway is properly installed and ready to last for many years to come.
Categorised in: Asphalt Paving
This post was written by Writer